How can Yoga help us get a good night’s sleep? The principles of Yoga include several practical guidelines to help us cope with stress and discomfort. Understanding these factors and our responses to them can help shift our mental state from being anxious or dwelling on certain thoughts to a mental state more conducive to inducing and maintaining sleep, as well as, dealing with episodes of arousal and awakening.
Yoga volitional breathing practices (pranayama) are effective and safe ways to shift our physiological state to restful and relaxed with overtones of vagally mediated changes in the body and mind. By volitionally changing specific breath characteristics (such as breath rate, depth, the relative duration of inhale to exhale and the nostril breathed through) we can self-regulate our physiological state so that we are more calm, less likely to experience physiological stress due to our mental state through the night and more likely to awaken feeling refreshed. These strategies increase a person’s confidence and self-efficacy to deal with insomnia and sleep disturbances.
You will Learn About:
- Principles of yoga from Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and how these can be practically applied to influencing mentation (mental activity) and hence improving sleep
- Yoga breathing and sleep induction
- Yoga breathing and better cardiac health through the night
- Yoga breathing through episodes of arousals and awakenings
- The relationship between insomnia, the kleshas and healing trauma
This course offers the perfect balance of science and Yoga therapy to support clients with sleep challenges.Natasha Nicholas, Yoga Teacher and Integrative Therapist
Yoga for Sleep Workshop
This workshop includes presentations on the essential elements of sleep and on the principles of Yoga relevant to sleep. Plus a wonderful, seated, Yoga breathing practice that left the whole audience ready for bed and Q&A.
I really enjoyed the Yoga practice and the connection to both Western science and Yoga principles. Thank you for a wonderful workshop!Monica Watler, Florida, USA
Who Should Attend?
- Yoga therapists, Yoga teachers and Yoga teacher trainees
- Therapists, health professionals and complementary therapists.
Benefits of Attending this Workshop:
- Learn from Dr. Shirley Telles, world leading Yoga researcher, scientist and presenter
- Learn practical tools and techniques that you can apply immediately with your students and clients who are experiencing sleep issues
- Educate yourself about the safest and most effective way to assist yourself, your clients and students with insomnia and sleep issues.
- Deepen your knowledge of Yoga as a therapeutic practice
- Yoga therapists/teachers are eligible for 1.5 Continuing Professional Development points
- A Certificate of Attendance is available on completion
- The recordings will be available to you for 12 months so you can review the material
Shirley Telles offers practical yogic tools to manage and prevent common sleep disorders. Her approach is informed by her deep understanding of yogic principles and practice married with her extensive knowledge of western science. Thank you for a great presentation!Fiona Donohoe-Bales, Yoga therapist and Clinical Counsellor, Sydney
You will need: a computer and stable internet connection.
Yoga for Sleep:
Delivery: Available On Demand Now
1 hour 30 minute video plus PowerPoint files that you can download
Cost: $AUD99.00 including GST