Once you’ve completed your training as a yoga therapist, you’re equipped with the tools to transition from yoga teacher to yoga therapists. Stepping into this new role can be both exciting and challenging as you embark on a new journey that complements your client’s healing and recovery. After all, it’s why we love doing what we do. Here are 11 simple tips that can make or break your success as a professional Yoga Therapist.
Yoga Therapists and their Students & Clientele
- Know your clients and your clientele. Get to know the individual.
- Know their problem and their strengths (awareness of their ‘pain’ but fuelling resolution towards a specific goal). Do your research if you’re unfamiliar with their illness or injury.
- Give tangible strategies, so they can feel a change and want more. Keep these simple so they don’t become a chore.
- Remember that approximately 30% of effectiveness in therapy comes down to the therapeutic relationship.
- Stay connected with colleagues – have a ‘buddy’ that you can bounce ideas and concerns around with and create space for new perspectives.
- Reflect on your own needs for mentoring and svadhyaya (self-study).
- If you haven’t already, you might consider becoming a member of one of the peak representative bodies/associations to join the community of yoga therapists – Australasian Association of Yoga Therapists, Yoga Australia or the International Association of Yoga Therapists.
- Have an elevator pitch for what you currently do and where you want to take it.
- Never underestimate the power of ‘word of mouth’
- Practice svadhyaya – knowing yourself and your personal communication style is key to standing out from the crowd.
- Online and offline, share well. Find a balance between personal, informative, industry news, and keep it fun!
Being a yoga therapist can at times feel like you’re on your own. But remember there is a wonderful and growing community of Yoga Therapists in your area and around the world to tap into. Together, we can support each other’s drive, passion and motivation whilst continuing to learn the enlightening methods and practices of yoga therapy and continuing to educate our communities.
Undertake our acclaimed Graduate Certificate in Yoga Therapy, you will learn a framework that you can apply to everyone and you will gain a full tool kit of Yoga practices that allow you teach anyone no matter what health problems they have.